What are non standard special fasteners? What are their uses?
Non standard special fasteners are customized fasteners that do not fit within the ranges of the ANSI/ASME standards.
They have unique characteristics and designs compared to standard fasteners.
If you have any question on non standard special fasteners, you will find all answers right here.
So, keep reading to learn more from below guide.
What are non standard special fasteners?
The non standard special fasteners are the parts that do not match existing catalog sizes.
The non standard special fasteners are manufactured to the customer’s drawings or specifications for use in products where unique properties are required for safety, performance or durability reasons.
These special fasteners can be made from a variety of materials including nickel alloy steels, stainless steels, brass and aluminum alloys.
Special fasteners have many applications across market sectors including aerospace, automotive, energy, electronics and telecommunications.
Non standard special fasteners is a general term that covers all types of non standard special bolts, screws, nuts, rods, rivets, etc.
They are often produced in large quantities for OEMs for use on their production lines, but can also be made in smaller quantities for bespoke applications.
Non standard or special fasteners can have many different head types. Such as flat countersunk, hexagon socket head, button head etc. They can be supplied with either metric threads or UNC threads (or other thread forms).
What are the differences between standard fasteners and non standard special fasteners?
The differences between standard fasteners and non standard special fasteners can be broken down into a few categories.
First, the standard fastener is a stock item that is available immediately. This means it is an inexpensive option and has no minimum order quantity (MOQ).
But the non-standard special fastener is designed by the client or manufacturer to meet a specific need. Because they are not mass produced, they usually carry a higher price tag and have a MOQ.
In some industries, it makes sense to use standard fasteners. However, in other industries where the product design or application requires something special, custom fasteners are often used.
What are the applications of non standard special fasteners?
Non standard special fasteners are often used in the following applications and industries:
1. The equipment of manufacturing: such as the machine tool industry and so on.
2. Agricultural machinery and equipment: including the manufacture and installation of a variety of agricultural machinery maintenance, such as, agricultural machinery companies and specialized agricultural machinery factories.
3. Military usage: including military products, weapons and equipment manufacturing and maintenance, such as military enterprises and arsenal.
4. Motor vehicle production: including passenger cars and trucks for maintenance, such as car repair companies and specialized auto repair plants (for example: motorcycle factory).
5. The production of elevators by elevator manufacturers for elevators that require assembly.
6. Shipbuilding industry: it is necessary to install marine vessels on the deck of the ship with special fasteners during the construction of ships to ensure that they do not fall off during long-term use or when there is a big wave at sea.
7. General engineering technology departments: special fasteners are needed in almost all industrial sectors such as power plants and metallurgical industries.
What are the different types of non standard special fasteners?
Non standard special fasteners are the fasteners that are required for the specific applications.
There are different types of non standard special fasteners and those are as follows:
Non-standard special washers: These fasteners have a wide variety of uses such as in aeronautics, construction and automobile industries.
Non-standard special nuts: These nuts are used in different sectors like in aerospace and automobile industries.
Non-standard special screws: Non-standard screws can also be known as special screws. They have a wide variety of use in various industries such as electronics, energy, military and medical etc.
Non-standard special bolts: These bolts are mainly used in chemical industry, mining industry and oil drilling industry.
Non-standard special pins: Non-standard pins can be used for different purposes. Generally they are used to make a hole into two objects by joining them together.
What are the materials used for non standard special fasteners?
The materials used for non standard special fasteners are mainly nickel and titanium alloy, aluminum, copper and stainless steel.
According to different grades of steel, they have different mechanical properties.
- Stainless steel: The stainless steel non-standard special fastener is made of 304, 316L, duplex 2205 or 904L stainless steel. The corrosion resistance of stainless steel is excellent and it has good tensile performance. It is widely used in many industrial fields.
- Aluminum alloy: Aluminum alloy material is light in weight, high in strength and easy to process, so the aluminum alloy non-standard special fastener can be more widely used. The surface treatment can be anodized to improve its corrosion resistance, wear resistance and aesthetic appearance.
- Titanium alloy: Titanium alloy material has high strength, good corrosion resistance and high temperature resistance, so the titanium alloy non-standard special fastener is widely used in aviation and aerospace fields.
- Special nickel alloy: The main purpose of adding alloying elements in alloy steels is to improve the strength, hardenability and other physical properties of steels. The most widely used alloying elements are chromium, nickel, molybdenum, vanadium, manganese, silicon and boron. Materials such as: Alloy 400, K-500, 718, 625, 601, 600, 825, 800, 800H, 800HT, C22, C276, B, B2, B3, C4, C2000, G-35, 230, X750, 617, 925, GH series.
- Copper and brass: The copper alloy non-standard special fastener has good conductivity, wear resistance, heat conduction and corrosion resistance, so it is widely used in various electrical appliances.
What are the surface treatment of non standard special fasteners?
Non-standard special fasteners are also known as special shaped fasteners.
General special fasteners surface treatment methods are electroplating, heat treatment, mechanical processing and physical or chemical treatment.
- Heat treatment: the surface of the material by heating to a certain temperature and cooling process.
- Electroplating: the process of coating a layer of metal film on the surface of a part by electrolysis.
- Mechanical processing: to change the shape and size of some parts through mechanical methods such as turning, milling, drilling and grinding, etc. to meet the requirements of use.
- Physical and chemical treatment: some physical or chemical methods are used to change the performance or appearance of parts.
How are non standard special fasteners manufactured?
1. Non-standard special fasteners drawing design:
In the non-standard special fasteners drawing design, the designer needs to study the product drawings and related technical requirements in detail, and then follow the relevant national standard drawings for processing. It is necessary to use computer-aided design software for two-dimensional analysis of the parts, and then make a three-dimensional analysis of the parts. The finished product should be tested by CAD software to find out whether it meets its requirements.
2. Non-standard special fasteners metal raw materials preparation:
After the design of non-standard special fasteners is completed, it is necessary to prepare the materials required for processing according to the drawings through inspection. In this step, we must strictly control the quality of materials that have passed inspection.
If you want to make a good non-standard special fastener, it must be processed well during processing. The process of processing requires mastering a lot of knowledge, including mechanical theory and CNC programming language knowledge.
After processing, it is necessary to carry out strict inspection on the products in order to ensure that every dimension meets its standards.
Where can I find a supplier for non standard special fasteners in China?
1.If you are a user who needs fasteners that are not standard, you can use the following B2B business platform to find out.
You can also visit some China famous website like Made-In-China, Alibaba, etc. where you get a list of suppliers with their contact details, manufacturing capabilities and other important information on their website which you can use to make a decision.
2.Contacting them directly and negotiating the price is one step but there are some other things which you might want to consider before placing your order with any supplier which are:
- Go through their website and check what kind of products they are manufacturing, do the same for multiple suppliers so that you can have an idea about the quality and cost of the product.
- Check their factory by visiting them in person if possible or ask for online video call to see the factory in action.
- Placing a sample order is another thing which you should consider before placing bulk orders because the payment methods (bank transfer or cash on delivery) might be different in China than yours so it’s always better to place a small order first to see how things work out.